In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Presque Isle: The Star City

Bethany Baptist Church

Text by Corey and Jensen, students at Presque Isle Middle School
Images from

The Bethany Baptist Church building has its own history. The building was originally constructed in 1890. The First Baptist Church of Presque Isle held their meetings weekly in this building. The First Baptist churched merged with the Free Baptist to form the United Baptist Church, locally known as the State Street Baptist in 1915. Then in 1951, the members that left State Street Baptist planned on having their own services in the same building. They held their first service upstairs while the basement was used as a garage. They voted to buy the church building and the land next door from Ronald Wight. After the building was purchased, the congregation redid the basement into rooms to expand the activities within the church. In 1952, the Bethany Baptist Church members decided to add an additional wing. In 1988, they added a second story on the wing. The Bethany Baptist Church still holds weekly services on the corner of State and Second Streets today.

Sources:
"Baptist Church Formed After Members Leave State Street Church." Star Herald [presque isle] 1 Apr. 2009: 9.