In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Presque Isle: The Star City

Allen Building

Text by Adam and Griffin, students from Presque Isle Middle School
Images from and the students

The Allen Building is an important piece to the history of Presque Isle. Now a vacant building, attorney Charles P. Allen built the Allen building in 1890 to house his practice. It was also the first post office in Presque Isle, until 1914. The first postmaster was James Phair. Later the building became the first organized bank called the Presque Isle National Bank. The next change for the building happened when it became law offices again. It is located today on Main Street next to the Northeastland Hotel’s Sidewalk Café, and across the street from Stew’s Downtown Sight and Sound.

Sources:
Graves III, Richard A. Forgotten Times: A Walk through History. Presque Isle, 2006.
Presque Isle Historical Society. “Presque Isle Historical Society Walking Tour.” Presque
Isle, 2009.